Monday, October 15, 2018

Monday:Or; the first day of the rest of my life

Good morning once again out there in blogger land, and yes, the weekend is over and it's time to get back to work.  Bleh.  I know, I know.  I only picked three games last week.  But, this was the week you shouldn't have listened to me.  Speaking of listening, I was listening to music last night when I had a fantastic idea; how about a musical recollection of the games I picked?  That sounds fun to me, so let's get started!

                                   My weekend in college football.....


The first game that I liked was Georgia Tech (-3) vs. Duke.  I sat down and watched this game, and I truly believe that Georgia Tech had a shot at winning the game, if it wasn't for the third quarter.  That being said, the first song up on our hit list today is "Oops, I did it again!" by Britney Spears (and the Georgia Tech kick-off team.  Sitting there watching the game, and the third quarter starts.  Georgia Tech gets the ball to start the third quarter, and what happens - they fumble the kick and Duke recovers and quickly scores to take a 14-7 lead.  The ensuing kickoff, guess what happens?  You guessed it!  The returner fumbles again!
                              "Oops, I did it again....I fumbled the ball, and cost us the game.  Oh, Paulie, Paulie, please don't bench me, I need the reps, I'm tryna go pro..."

All in all, I think Georgia Tech fumbled three kickoffs in the entire game, which allowed Duke to capitalize on the short fields and score (Daniel Jones threw three touchdown passes in the third quarter) and handily defeat the Yellow Jackets 28-14.  Well, at least the kickoff returner has a new career path....handling turnovers at the bakery!


Oops, I did it again! or Oops, I fumbled the ball!

The second game that I stated that I liked was West Virginia (-6) going up against Iowa State.  Now, if you watched some of the game, I hope you were paying attention, because West Virginia had an interesting helmet bumper in the back.
           Yes, it does say Country Roads....

That being said, we have reached our second song of the week here on the sing-along version of our program.  The second song, you guessed it, is "Country Roads" by John Denver, although the lyrics are a little different.  I'd like to call the West Virginia defense up to sing the first verse....

     "Far From Heaven, Iowa State,  David Montgomery makes us look like swingin' gates.....The game is long there, we're always on the field, Someone help us, we're about to yield"

And now, Will Grier with the chorus:

"Country Roads, catch some passes, you have a better chance than our wide receivers, West Virginia, gets embarrassed, I forget who my team is."

West Virginia didn't even bother to show up in that game.  The high-powered offense, averaging 36.8 points per game, scored 7.  The other touchdown was scored by the West Virginia defense.   The offense scored 7!  7!  one more time for luck, 7!.  West Virginia got embarrassed by Iowa State (specifically David Montgomery who had one of his best games ever, 29 carries for 189 yards and a touchdown) and Brock Purdy, who looked more like Brock Osweiler in his Dolphins debut, throwing for 254 yards and 3 touchdowns. 

              Brock Purdy.....possibly related to......


      Brock Osweiler???






Country Roads.....

And now, for the third segment in our musical afternoon, we come to Autzen stadium and the battle between the Oregon Ducks and the Washington Huskies, two teams battling it out for supremacy in the PAC-12 North.  Oregon already blew a large lead in their overtime loss to Stanford, so I thought the Huskies would take care of the Ducks very easily.  Boy, was I wrong.  Not only did the Ducks win in overtime, but a late Jake Browning touchdown pass to Ty Jones in order to force the first overtime, but then the Ducks defense forces a field goal and then goes down and scores the game winning touchdown on a C.J. Verdell run that put Washington away for good.  Ugh.  Well, ducks like the rain, so I guess our next song on our top five list would be "I'm only happy when it rains" by the 90's grunge rock band Garbage.  Or, the Oregon version "I'm only happy at Autzen" which goes a little like this:

"I'm only happy in Autzen,
I'm only happy when we play at home,
We're so much better in front of our fans,
I'm only happy in Autzen"

And then the Huskies come in with the chorus:
"Put some points up on us,
Put some points up on us, please
Put some points up on us,
Score a touchdown in overtime!"


                  Ducks seem to like the rain (and sometimes play like garbage)



Other hits on this countdown include "Loser", by the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, "What the Hell Happened to Me?" by the Indiana Hoosiers, "Survivor" by the Texas A&M Aggies, and everyone's favorite hit, "Georgia got run over by a Bengal (tiger)".  It hurts me to write that last one, being a Georgia fan, but when you go on the road twice in the last two years and try to have a statement win against an SEC West foe and then get blown out twice like they did, I question the SEC east a little bit.  Well, I think that just about wraps it up here for me.  I'll talk to you again tomorrow when the crystal ball becomes a little clearer.  Something big is going on tonight, wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick Picks

Since I don't have a whole lot of time to blog today, a quick, surgical strike of games that I like this week: Syracuse (+10.5) vs. No...